Software Development, Hardware Hacking, Multirotors and Robots!
I finished the pending friend request logic tonight. We now bounce the dock, show the dock badge etc. Clicking the dock with a pending request will show the pending friend requests window, accept/decline works as expected and updates the applicable states of everything.
We have a website! I used this opportunity to get together a website and work on integrating the Sparkle updater framework to allow testers to automatically upgrade as I push out new development builds. I have my project scripted to increment the build number, and I have a shell script that archives the build, creates the appcast.xml and scp’s the appropriate files to the server automatically!
It has been a LONG time since I worked on a project with that name. I started Rival Messenger as a Windows app written in Visual Basic, way way back at the end of 1999! After much fussing, pushed by my own dislike of Skype, and everyone’s dislike of NSA snooping, I have decided to build a full on Skype replacement and use the name again!
This time around it is an OSX native app, written in Objective-C using the Cocoa Framework. I am building it on top of Jeremie Miller’s new project called Telehash. Temas has been working hard on an objc library implementation for telehash, and it has just enough maturity now that things are working, and really coming together!
I will start to blog about my progress with Rival Messenger and Telehash, there is an important milestone right around the corner. This milestone is a secure decentralized internet or whatever.
NeoPixel Desk - I ordered 4m of NeoPixel strip a while back. I decided to finally attach it to my desk. Setup is pretty simple, ill eventually make it do cool things. The NeoPixel Uberguide has everything covered.
Transducer wiring for the sectional. I thought that using xt60 rc power connectors would make this whole setup a lot more maintainable and less error prone. It all came out nice! There are 2 transducers attached to the couch, wired in series (as per documentation). The couch is now sitting on top of vibration mounts.
Cheap vibration isolation for your couch/sectional for bass transducers!
I was looking online for a good solution for vibration isolation for our sectional. I was looking at bass transducers such as the Clark Synthesis or Buttkicker LFE. Both companies offer rubber solutions of varying expense, all far too expensive when you consider that my sectional has 16 feet!
I started to think about caster cups as an option, did they make them out of soft rubber? Nope, but then I pondered if i could put soft rubber IN them. I had a workout mat which was perfect thickness, so I cut out a square and put it in the caster cup. BINGO.. this thing has lots of give in it in all directions. And it only cost a fraction of the price of the other solutions!
Project Dyson v2 - Time to revisit this project, the last one failed when the stock impeller melted solid due to the speed of the brushless motor I had attached. This time around I will be mounting an EDF inside the housing, and blowing right out the back it. With the new EDF I will have a lot more space in the main housing, allowing me to include a screen for the coolness factor. This EDF produces around 6lbs of thrust (which is enough to push an office chair across the room)… so it should be interesting to see what this can accomplish as a vacuum cleaner…
Time for me to start making stuff again… It has been FAAARRRR too long. I whipped this together at lunch time today, simple 3 channel PWM using TIP142s. It is driving a 30W RGB LED at 30V, and at peak it runs around 1.8A of draw.
My goal is to use these to wash a few walls in my office with color.
My anti backlash ball screws, rails and linear bearings arrived! This CNC table is going to be massive!
30W RGB Led Test - Before I pack all this up tomorrow I decided to test out one of the 30W RGB LEDs I got to do accent lighting for my new office. It is powered by 3 individual drivers that accept PWM input to drive the output. Each LED module+driver combo will have 1 arduino pro mini driving the PWM input. All the pro mini’s will i2c together with an arduino that sits on the network for network control of the 4 individual LEDs.
Packing my components for our upcoming move! It’s nice to be a little organized for once…
jsSTK500 update! Initialization is now working! I refactored the code to better work the way you would expect it (with callbacks etc).